For around one in seven couples, starting a family is not an easy process but one that can take months, or even years. For every 100 couples trying to conceive naturally, 84 will do so in the first year, 92 within two years and 93 within three – so there are many other couples out there who are going through a similar ordeal.

When should we seek specialist help for fertility issues?

If you are concerned about your fertility, the first port of call is your GP who will then refer you on to a specialist. The general advice is that women under 35 should allow a year before seeking help, while women 35 and over do so after a shorter period of six months. An NHS consultation with a fertility expert such as Amanda Tozer may be an option – London female gynaecologist Miss Tozer is a Consultant at St Bart’s – but some couples do not wish to wait any longer than necessary and prefer to make a private appointment at Amanda Tozer’s Harley Street fertility clinic.

What help is available?

During your initial consultation, Amanda Tozer will take your medical history. She will run diagnostic tests to determine the underlying factors, including various screening tests and a pelvic ultrasound, and then talk you through the treatment options available to you. There are three main types of fertility treatment. The first, fertility medication, may be appropriate if you have ovulation problems; fertility drugs, such as Clomiphene, stimulate egg production, thereby improving your chances of conception.

Conditions such as endometriosis, polycystic ovaries and fibroids can be a cause of infertility; in these cases, a surgical approach can be effective. The third main type of treatment is assisted conception – IVF and IUI. These and other fertility treatment options, including egg and sperm donations, are all offered by Miss Amanda Tozer at her London clinic.